As a mortgage broker, one of the most useful pieces of data available to you is the property’s sales history. When it comes time for you to vet applications, a property’s sales history can reveal information to help you mitigate fraud and determine property value.
Reviewing a property’s sales history can reveal the following kinds of information:
- Who purchased the property in the past. Were there any instances of fraud? Did a corporation purchase the property?
- What the transfer amounts were. Are they in line with legitimate values?
- How many times the property has changed hands or has been passed between related parties.
The sales history can also confirm all owners on title, which is vital to your application submission. Other things you should look out for are:
- Widely varying sales prices. This could be a sign that the property value has been inflated. If this is the case, you can verify the value by running an AVM (automated valuation model).
- The property’s financial history. Who or what types of encumbrances have been registered?
- The timing of transactions. Too many title changes in a short period of time could indicate a red flag.
Many times the property sales history will pass your criteria however, it’s much better to ensure accurate information is identified from the start so no time is wasted during the application process.
PurView makes it more efficient for mortgage brokers to secure a property’s sales history at the start of the application process which also ensures both parties have the same details. All you need is a legitimate property address and you can secure a complete account using up-to-date, accurate, and easily accessible data from the Province of Ontario Land Registry Information System (POLARIS).
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1.855.787.8439 or via email at email@example.com.